The EVIL INQUISITION is a webzine dedicated solely to Music Lovers!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Concept of Doom

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jimmyxendrix
Infantile Doomster
Infantile Doomster

PostSubject: Concept of Doom   Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:54 pm

I open this topic to put in discussion what is real doom. Is it a kind of slow death? or is it a pure style? What are the roots?, What are the varieties? and anything else can help to make a certain concept of doom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/nevernexx
doompriest
Infantile Doomster
Infantile Doomster

PostSubject: Re: Concept of Doom   Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:01 am

Hi xendrix! i think it's really hard to give you an answer. Doom is atmosphere, you can choose it or you can be chosen by doom, at least. It's something you can't describe, you had to feel it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FIN
Pubescant Doomster
Pubescant Doomster

PostSubject: Re: Concept of Doom   Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:28 am

Doom to me is anything that worships at the altar of the mighty BLACK SABBATH.Whether it be pure/true doom/avant void doom/retro doom/doom metal/doomdeath or the dreaded stoner they all at some varying degree have a certain Sabbath vibe to them.For instance this is the reason I don't see My Dying Bride or Paradise Lost as Doom bands per se as to me they don't have that vibe or if they do it's barely
detectable beneath the Northern Gothic gloom.I know I'm on my own (or am I?) on this one.I also don't see bands like DOWN as a doom band even though they're quite often described as such.They're more of a southern rock band to me and the same goes for CROWBAR tho I did read a laughable review where GRAND MAGUS were described as having a southern rock flavour! talk about arse about face!!

to me Doom is the perfect example of 'outsider' music in that even in underground metal circles it's by far the smallest 'scene' on the face of the earth.I don't mean to sound elitist but in some ways this is a good thing as it cuts out bandwagon jumpers ("hey I want fame & fortune,fast cars and hot girls.Lets get a doom band together!" I don't think so) plus doom is something that you either 'get' or you fuckin do not.When was the last time you heard someone say "I really dig REVEREND BIZARRE but doom is shit"? exactly,that person doesn't exist.
Anyhoo doomers,fuck my old boots it's time to go.

FIN Sleep
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoM
Infantile Doomster
Infantile Doomster

PostSubject: Re: Concept of Doom   Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:13 am

jimmyxendrix wrote:
...what is real doom...

For me doom is one's attitude expressed by music. Emotions, fears, desparation or even hope, it simply should translate one's inside to music played or listened to.

And of course, it's not rock Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maeroris
Infantile Doomster
Infantile Doomster

PostSubject: Re: Concept of Doom   Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:08 am

Doom is supposed to be a slow.. very slow and gravelike metal as with the lyrics.
Thats a definition of sorts.. the dooom! But no one wants to be in a box you know, so those paralells with thrash, death, industrial, black etc.. I guess they mingle if they just work out XD
(like paradise lost... not slow enough but still doom'y to me)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/vemod1
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concept of Doom   

Back to top Go down

Concept of Doom
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1